WordPress Blog Update
Posted: 2007-04-02 14:00:01
Having some free time on my hands, I have taken the liberty of upgrading our WordPress version from 2.0 to v2.1.
It was a rather simple procedure — since our blog is very standard [non-modified]…
- Backup wp db, as a precaution.
- Backup wp dir, as a precaution.
- Unpack new wp version dir.
- Copy over files wp-config.php and .htaccess
- Run upgrade.php
With other setups, you would also want to copy over dir wordpress/wp-content, as it can contain themes, plugins, and images linked to from blog posts.
The major changes with our new setup are…
- The use of the default WP theme, as it’s a bit cleaner.
- The use of the Akismet spam plugin, hence allowing all visitors to post comments.
- The use of the wp-cache plugin for faster load times.
- The use of the Social Bookmarks plugin to allow interested readers to bookmark/submit an article to the various social sites.
- The use of the Category Tagging plugin. [It’s the only one in its category that I could get to work]
- The use of the Add-Meta-Tags plugin to improve Blog SEO.
The installation of the wp-cache plugin required permissions and ownership change for the wordpresswp-content dir…
- ‘chown root:apache wp-content’ to give ownership to the Web-Server
- ‘chmod 775 wp-content’ to give write permissions to the Web-Server
The Category Tagging plugin was a bit harder to setup, as it required the manual editing of a theme template and css file.
The other plugins installed automatic.
Previous posts: upgrading WordPress.