It looks like MySQL has no more plans of providing the updated binaries [and source] to the ‘Community Server’ edition of the MySQL Server.
Currently the newest release version is 5.0.30, while Downloads only lists 5.0.27. The situation is the same under the changelog of the Manual.
MySQL is the copyright holder on the software, and is not bound to the license of any previous release, so this is all perfectly valid.
While this will not affect the Linux crowd much, this will be a problem for WAMP distributions as MySQL has always been difficult to compile on this platform.
Dropping the ‘Community Server’ edition in exchange of only providing to paid customers could also backfire, but I doubt that will happen.
Some alternatives to MySQL are…
Win32 source can still be obtained from MySQL’s FTP
A little more info can be found in this blog entry…
Having run phpBB for the last 3 years as the Forum s/w for devside.net, I have definitely come across issues and problems. Some very serious…
phpBB made it possible for devside.net to get hacked, has corrupted the db more than once with some damage, and is now mysteriously creating backups that are different in size by a large margin from the mysql db dumps [compression is taken into account], not to mention all the headaches it has given me.
Here is an article comparing the major Forums…
I think when I have the time, I will try out SMF.
As a note, phpBB3 is coming out, and hopefully will be an improvement over the 2.0 branch. And if it is not… I will not be surprised at all.
About one week ago I started work on DynamicSide.NET, a provider of dynamic DNS [ddns] Services. I have been meaning to create this project since about 2004… And 2-3 years later, its coming along very well and I should be able to deploy the site within the next 7 days.
This will be a separate entity from DeveloperSide.NET. I will have to write/update the ddns client that I have integrated into the WAMP Controller as we are a bit above the one *.dynside.net sub-domain mark. But primarily, this project will stand alone on its own.
I also have two other projects that I think I will work on when dynside.net is deployed and working… Both of which will not have much to do with WAMP in particular, but will serve a purpose.
Today was the release of the Web-Developer Server Suite version 1.93, a transitional release to version 2.0
The biggest change from v1.92 is the inclusion of Joomla (CMS) and MediaWiki (Wiki).
I’ve included Joomla as it seems a bit more user friendly than Drupal, at least on the surface. And it is a very popular CMS. Though it is my understanding that Drupal works out better in the long run…
This time around, the Web-Framework applications are not fully installed by default, as they were under the previous version. The user will need to run the installation script of each component, which is linked from and/or is detected by the index.php file of each component’s base URL. Each installation script has been preset with default values for our setup. All the databases and database users have been created under MySQL. All that is required from the user is to enter an e-mail address and a user/password combo… A bit better than the former solution, but still not exactly what I’m looking for… I’m sure some users will get confused and will start to re-enter the already provided values under the fields with random data.
On the last note about this release, the Web-Framework applications are installed fixed… They cannot be deselected by the installer. The user can remove the web applications by removing the inclusion lines under components.conf. After that, you can always just delete the webapp directory, drop the database, and drop the mysql user, or leave it be. Something that will be corrected in upcoming versions.
Today was the release of the Web-Developer Server Suite version 1.92, a transitional release to version 2.0
The biggest change from v1.91 is the inclusion of Drupal (CMS), WordPress (blog), and phpBB2 (forum) into the Suite package. MediaWiki could not make it in due to a last minute packaging/installation issue. These components are installed by default under user admin with a password set [check Guide for URLs and passwords], bound to localhost. I know, its not the best solution, but I am working on something much more elegant. The main reason for this release was to just get it out, as more features are put in. Which will be the norm up to the 2.0 release… coming out very soon. I have just one more feature to add, a very major one, and also an upgrade to the dynamic dns system must be done to bring it inline with the other Dynamic DNS players.
I have also updated the DeveloperSide.NET banner, and the colors of the site. And have changed some of the content on the main page… giving it much cleaner look.