The cleanest and best way to do an upgrade between minor (v18.104.22.168 to v22.214.171.124) and major versions (v4.1 to v4.2 to v5.0) of WampDeveloper is to perform a clean-reinstall. Followed by a website + database transfer procedure (if needed, to maintain all websites and databases)…
Clean Reinstall of WampDeveloper
1. Click the Uninstall link at bottom of Components Tab. The uninstallation process will not delete any files or databases.
2. Rename folder C:\WampDeveloper to C:\WampDeveloper.old. If Windows does not allow the folder to be renamed, then some files are still in-use or open, reboot your system to close everything.
3. Install new version of WampDeveloper to the previous location (ex: C:\WampDeveloper). Then reboot.
4. Use Websites Tab to re-create your websites so all new and updated VirtualHosts, other configuration files, and website folders are created.
5. For the websites + databases transfer processes, stop Apache and MySQL…
If you need to preserve your previous websites…
1. Copy from C:\WampDeveloper.old your \Websites folder over C:\WampDeveloper\Websites (copy-over, overwrite all).
Transfer MySQL Database Files
If you need to preserve your previous databases…
WampDeveloper 4.1 used MySQL 5.1 with database location: \WampDeveloper\Database\
WampDeveloper 4.2 used MySQL 5.5 with database location: \WampDeveloper\Database\
WampDeveloper 5.0 uses MySQL 5.6 by default, but can also switch to using MySQL 5.5 and 5.1; with each major MySQL branch maintaining its own database files (because the data format/schema of the files is different for each MySQL branch):
MySQL 5.6 as \WampDeveloper\Database\mysql-data-56\
MySQL 5.5 as \WampDeveloper\Database\mysql-data-55\
MySQL 5.1 as \WampDeveloper\Database\mysql-data-51\
If you are upgrading the WampDeveloper version (v4.2 to v5.0)
1. Place the previous database files in the new location…
Ex: Delete \WampDeveloper\Database\mysql-data-56\ and copy + rename \WampDeveloper.old\Database\ as \WampDeveloper\Database\mysql-data-56\
2. The database files, when moved under a newer MySQL branch, have to be updated for that branch by running (from System Tab command-line button):
If you are re-installing the same WampDeveloper branch (v4.2 to v4.2)
1. Move back in your \Database folder (replace in entirety, don’t copy-over). Nothing else needs to be done as your MySQL branch remains the same.
If you are upgrading from WampDeveloper v4.1 to v4.2
1. Download http://www.devside.net/download/trial/WampDeveloper-126.96.36.199.zip
2. Replace the \Database folder and run from the command-line:
3. Due to a my.ini configuration change (for logfile size) between WampDeveloper v4.1 and v4.2 (and the way MySQL 5.5 behaves), MySQL won’t start until files C:\WampDeveloper\Database\ib_logfile0, and ib_logfile1 (if it exists) are deleted.
4. Re-install phpMyAdmin’s database (because phpMyAdmin was upgraded from v3.5 to v4.0).
Open the command-line (via System Tab), and execute the following commands:
mysql -u root -p
DROP DATABASE phpmyadmin
(*if you have not set a password for MySQL account: root, leave the ‘-p’ part out)
(*make sure to update the path in the SOURCE command if WampDeveloper was installed on a different drive; not on drive C:)
Migrate Custom Changes
If you had any custom changes made to the Apache, PHP, or MySQL configurations, the VirtualHost files, AWStats, etc, those changes would need to be re-implemented.
A quick way to see the difference between two configuration files (previous vs. new), or between all files in two directories (ex: between WD 4.1 and WD 4.2 \WampDeveloper\Config\ folders), is to use a tool such as WinMerge or WinDiff.